Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Canada Day Winnipeg & a Tattoo

West Coast Native Art style



60's Style Woodpecker and pin up girl - Thrush mufflers?

Like the Transformer movie style
Walking around Winnipeg on Canada Day (July 1st) I couldn't help but notice all the different tattoo artwork on people. Some of it is too busy that I could not make out what it was. Some tattoos were cartoonish, while some were simple and many were elegant. I like the art work. I am a little aware of how much a Tattoo can mean to someone. For some it's a statement of their individuality, while others it is a sign that they are not conforming to society's image of what is proper. For some it is a deep cultural connection. And for many it is a calendar. A calendar of some event, important in their life.

I remember this one fellow years ago had a tattoo of a "joint" on his arm. He told me it was a part of who he was; he liked to smoke dope. To me it was dumb. But to each their own. When I think back I guess it was important to him and was a part of him. I have a couple of art pieces as well and I like to think that the art represents part of who I am. I have some Maori friends and I know Tattoo is a very special part of who they are.

I took a few pictures while we were out walking around, but missed out on some great work. Still here are a few of the people walking around the city.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.
A skull in yellow

Alice in Wonderland Disney style

Not sure of the style, but it shows you where to look

Death. I think

Roses and Brass Knuckles

Biker Style 60's

Asia style Dragon

Pretty, fun and happy

Menora perhaps or Chandelier

Too bad I didn't get the whole picture, than it might have made sense

Memory

Sea Horse


1 comment:

  1. As a teen I saw bikers in the neighborhood-they had many tatoos.I asked my Elders if our warriors had tatoos.They told me there was no tatoos in the history of my clan."A warrior has scars"-they explained.Today I have many scars,some not so pretty but I like them because they remind me about the lesson I've received from the Elders.Warrior's path is written in scars,not in tatoos.

    ReplyDelete

Knowledge Keeper and Knowledge Giver

There are many beautiful things in the world. Of those beautiful things are youth. How beautiful everything and everyone is when they are yo...