Sunday, March 12, 2017

Say Their Name Keep Them Alive.

“I mean, they say you die twice. One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time.” - Banksy.

They say don't hold onto your grief as you keep the dead ones from moving on. I hear it told at many a Wake service. I understand the well meaning of the sentiment. I know people don't want you to suffer with the longing of missing your loved one. That is nice. In some Traditional homes they expect you to turn the pictures of the loved on who died for a year. There is also the Taking Away the Tears Ceremony done after a year. The ceremony is for you to let go of the pain of your loss. All good things meant to try and ease  your grief and pain. 

Me, I say keep them alive. Sure let the grief ease and the pain become numb or slight. Still never forget them and keep them alive. Say their name, put it print. 

Society does it all the time. Look at the some of those gone long time ago. We keep them alive in print, in song, in  print, statues and in  movies. You remember John Kennedy, Janis Joplin, Elvis Presley, and many more.

I get almost happy when I hear my son Donovan's name being said. Also my Mom, my Dad, my Brother and Mishoom and Kookum's names.

We  should keep them alive in our hearts and minds. I think when my Aunties and Cousins my age are gone I wonder who will  remember my Mishoom and Kookum. My grandkids don`t know them and I don`t talk about them so they don`t know them. I should have their photos up so the grandkids can ask, "who are they."

So I will continue to say their names of the ones I know and remember. I hope you will say the names of the ones you lost as well. If it is keeping them back I am sorry but I am selfish and want them here. I hope to see them again. I hope that is true. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Knowledge Keeper and Knowledge Giver

There are many beautiful things in the world. Of those beautiful things are youth. How beautiful everything and everyone is when they are yo...